[extropy-chat] Re: Public Schools

Tue Jan 20 06:56:11 UTC 2004

"Technotranscendence" <neptune at superlink.net> wrote,
> I have never met a homeschooled individual who wasn't a success,
> though I admit that I've only met a few.

Ack!  I have.  They had the strongest prejudices and politics of their
parents drilled into them.  They usually become mental clones of their
parents with no opposing viewpoints presented.  They were often inept around
other kids and preferred to be alone.  Most of them were either rude or
sometimes deliberately mean to other kids.  They were often selfish and used
to having their own way.  Many home-schooled kids become selfish little
brats.  Of the religious-based home-schooled kids, they seemed to be
well-trained in their particular religion, and poorly trained in godless
science, literature or art.

This is not true of all, because I have met many fine home-schooled kids as
well.  But in my experience, all the well-adjusted kids were interested in
getting out into the world, going to regular schools, being with other kids
their own age, and eventually self-chose to end home-schooling.  I have also
seen a few examples of "home-schooled" kids who didn't seem to have any real
schooling at all.  Their parents just called them home-schooled to keep them
out of the godless public school.

In short, home-schooling is about a variable as any other aspect of a
child's home-life.  Some are great, some are awful.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,