EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat] Game theoryofcommoncold)

Tue Jan 20 07:40:13 UTC 2004

Samantha Atkins wrote,
> > As far as I am concerned, I am taking money from the community rather
> > than the community taking money from me.  I don't mind giving a little
> > of it back.
>
> I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that your life,
> career, works, example, spending and creating (non-exhaustive
> list) already give back amply to your community and beyond it.

You are not mistaken.  We are very active in volunteer work and spend huge
amounts on various charities we support.  This attitude is only possible
because we believe in our community and in helping others.  If I were a
bitter old Libertarian clutching my gun and grumping about all taxes being
theft, I would be so busy wallowing in my self-pity and victim mentality
that I would not give back anything to anyone.  It is this very fact that I
have been blessed in my life that empowers me to help others.  If I really
felt that I had to claw and scratch out every single penny with no help from
anyone, seeing the government and social institutions as enemies, I would
bury all my money in the back yard and never help anyone.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,