[extropy-chat] Re: Atkins Diet Change

Johnius Johnius at Genius.UCSD.edu
Tue Jan 20 08:12:31 UTC 2004

Harvey wrote:
> The promoters of the Atkins diet finally acknowledge that Atkins dieters
> need to cut back on meat and saturated fats.  [...]
> This fits in with my nutritional research.  Low carbs are fine, but you also
> need low fat, especially saturated fats.  [...]
> Since transhumanists are no longer children and will hopefully avoid
> old age, it seems that the low-fat diet, as described in Kurzweil's Ten
> Percent Solution, remains the transhumanist diet (along with calorie
> restriction).

	FWIW, the California Healthspan Institute ( ehealthspan.com )
	recommends a Zone diet as an essential part of their anti-aging
	program:     http://ehealthspan.com/treatment/zone.asp

	I'm considering becoming one of their patients (and am working
	my way through Dr. Rothenberg's book _Forever Ageless_), but
	have in the interim started a Zone diet.  It is a "hormonally
	correct" diet that attempts to optimize hormone concentrations.
	One eats a moderate amount of low fat protein at every meal,
	balancing it with low-glycemic-index carbs (usually vegetables,
	rarely grains), and adding a small quantity of mono-unsaturated
	oil (olive oil, nuts, avocado) ... and adding fish oil (or some
	form of balanced high-quality omega-3 oil).

	Dr. Sears ( news.drsears.com ) wrote (I think in his _Anti-aging
	Zone_) that this diet is or can easily be made into a CR diet.

	For now, this is my proto-transhumanist diet (along with an
	array of additional supplements such as alpha lipoic acid,
	acetyl carnitine, TMG, vitamin E complex, co-Q10, etc.).

Harvey wrote:
> The main problem with meat today is the way farm factories create fattened
> animals.  Animals in the wild ate less, exercised more, and were much leaner
> than today's versions of meat.

	Sears and others recommend:  game meats (e.g., buffalo, venison),
	egg whites (not the yolks), low/non fat cottage cheese, fish
	(especially salmon--rich in activated omega-3), etc.  Since
	being on a Zone diet, I've tried buffalo, venison, ostrich,
	lean beef from New Zealand, etc., and have found their quality
	to be quite different from farmed meats.  Now I'm spoiled and
	tend to stay with these lean meats even when they're relatively
	expensive...

	Best, Johnius