[extropy-chat] Saving the Hubble

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 16:30:34 UTC 2004

--- "Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc." <megao at sasktel.net> wrote:
> I think that is the key issue.  Could hubble be able to see things
> that its
> owners might not want seen?  It could accidentally see things
> military
> planners want to keep classified.  It may have become to dangerous to
> allow
> to operate?
> A bit far farfetched .... are their any other  supporting arguments
> for this?

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/program/imint/kh-12.htm
This page USED to have a drawing by Dr. Charles Vick, who was involved
in the development of these satellites. The KH-11 looks like a virtual
carbon copy of the Hubble, while the KH-12 is a 'low observables', in
that it has a dome over its aperture to deflect radar from earth when
not in use, and is sheathed in stealth materials.

http://www.geog.gla.ac.uk/~gpetrie/10-Defence_-Petrie.pdf (see page 3,
column 3) This document has a rough drawing by Vick of the KH-12 and
also confirms that it is essentially a Hubble telescope.

Supposedly, the Hubble and the KH-12 were built by the same company.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey