EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat] Gametheoryofcommoncold)

Wed Jan 21 01:18:24 UTC 2004

Samantha Atkins wrote,
> I draw a large distinction between voluntary charity and
> involuntary charity imposed by a government.  I believe very
> much in giving back in whatever form it takes (and am known
> for generositiy in that regard fwiw) but I do not believe and
> never will believe in forced taking and giving to others.
> Please do not give in to the temptation to slam libertarians
> just because you do not happen to be one.  There is in fact
> VERY ample reason not to trust government and this government
> in particular that hasn't a damn thing to do with "self-pity"
> or "victim mentality".  I am quite dismayed that you would
> jump into this mode of ranting so easily.   I am also
> dismayed by a seeming unwillingness to grant that there are
> is a whole spectrum of attitudes and practice out there
> between you and your "bitter old Libertarian".

Wow, this conversation has suddenly turned 180 degrees when I blinked!  I
certainly do not trust the government, nor do I intend to slam Libertarians.
I was defending my position of doing charity work against those who said
charity through government programs was evil.  I also was explaining that
charity work could be good to counter those who claim all charity work is
self-serving selfishness.  I was trying to defend myself for doing charity
work, not attack anyone else for not doing charity work.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,