[extropy-chat] Re: Home-schooling

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 16:35:57 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:
>  (1/20/04 8:36) Max M <maxm at mail.tele.dk> wrote:
>
> >I would be more interested in how we can use a voucher system to
> improve
> >the private schools. Then we can have a better and more varied
> choice.
>
> I would be MUCH more interested in how you propose to disentangle the
> current voucher system proposals from the religious loonies' desire
> to transfer public funds to their prosyletizing efforts. Only Milton
> Friedman's foundation's private vouchers seem to be working in that
> regard.

I find it rather disengenuous to conflate a religious parent wishing to
send his or her own children to a religious school WITH THEIR OWN MONEY
as 'transfer public funds to their prosyletizing efforts'. Talk about
loony statements.

A good way to disentangle vouchers is to simply allow parents to deduct
their tuition from their property taxes. It IS THEIR MONEY to begin
with. Is it that you don't trust other people to spend their own money?

As previously posted, the stats show that 3/4 of homeschoolers are
religious families AND the AVERAGE batter test scores of homeschoolers
are 35 points higher than public schoolers. It is evident that
religious kids get excellent education, for the most part.

I would be much more interested in proposals to disentangle the
entrenched teachers union from the public system in order to enforce
real quality standards on teacher performance.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey