[extropy-chat] Re: Home-schooling

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 18:31:57 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:
>  (1/21/04 8:35) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >I find it rather disengenuous to conflate a religious parent wishing
> >send his or her own children to a religious school WITH THEIR OWN
> MONEY
> >as 'transfer public funds to their prosyletizing efforts'. Talk
> about
> >loony statements.
>
> Ahh. Well, if you're giving them an exact deduction from their
> -property- taxes, I have no problem. Its when you pay them out of
> federal taxes that I have a problem, for obvious reasons. At that
> point, its just another special interest clamoring for more of my
> money, natch?

Your money, or their own? They pay federal taxes too, a chunk of which
funds the department of diseducation.

Besides, wouldn't you rather your income taxes went to educating poor
kids in private school or home school settings, where you know they'll
get quality education, than for your money to be spent on prisons to
house illiterate adults who engaged in the only trade they were
qualified for?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark