[extropy-chat] Re: Home-schooling

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Wed Jan 21 19:31:46 UTC 2004

 (1/21/04 11:00) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:
>>
>> That's one of those "hard" questions. I've not seen any data that has
>> sufficiently convinced me that -any- form of education - public,
>> private, or home- can educate the children of parents who do not
>> value education themselves.  The unfortunate reality is that such
>> parents are disproportionately found in the lower end of the
>> socioeconomic spectrum.  It may be that prison education is the only
>> realistic solution to the problem. The idealist in me would like to
>> think this isn't the case, but I've not seen much that gives me hope
>> in that regard.
>
>Good point. How about a requirement of no parole for any prisoner who
>doesn't get a GED and certification in a trade? One problem with the
>prison system is that educational opportunities in many are stunted and
>there is no incentive for participation.

I'd be 100% for that, personally. Though I do not consider myself a "liberal" by any stretch, I find a fair amount of credibility to the classic liberal position that education tends to be a preventative measure against violent crime.

Brent
--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein