[extropy-chat] Self-Enhncmnt: data acquisition at high speed

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Thu Jan 22 01:19:13 UTC 2004

I'm a fairly fast reader at ~1000+ wpm with fairly good
comprehension on fiction and subjects I'm already acquanted
with, and ~500 wpm on hard nonfiction. I've found that reading
the same thing over and over until I'm quite bored with it
produces massive gains in retention although it hardly affects
comprehension. Typically this takes two or three times (make
sure you sleep in the interim). But, improving retention has
very good benefits. I can build upon the information and use
it much more readily. Most of my problems stem from not
remembering the details of what I've read even though I
understood it at the time, and rereading is a powerful
technique for improving retention and recall.

I'm sure that I could double my reading efficiency with some
aids but simply rereading makes a tremendous difference.
Taking notes would probably make a big difference as well,
but I'm not quite that organized.

Acy Stapp