[extropy-chat] [HUMOR] Scientists Abandon AI Project After Seeing The Matrix

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Thu Jan 22 10:41:27 UTC 2004

http://www.theonion.com/4003/top_story.html

CAMBRIDGE, MA—Scientists at MIT's Advanced Machine Cognizance Project
announced Tuesday that, after seeing the final installment of the Matrix
trilogy, they will cease all further work in the field of artificial
intelligence.

"As scientists of conscience, we must consider the ethical ramifications
of AI development," said Dr. Gregory Jameson, director of machine
epistemology and ontology at MIT. "The Matrix taught us that we cannot
ignore our obligation to the future of mankind. We must free our minds
to this fact, or we will accidentally unleash a nightmarish army of
sentient machines."

regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark