[extropy-chat] brine on Mars might have been found

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Thu Jan 22 15:16:17 UTC 2004

On Thursday, January 22, 2004 9:53 AM Kevin Freels
kevinfreels at hotmail.com wrote:
>> What in human history would rival finding
>> life on another planet for the first time?
>> Perhaps learning that the earth wasn't
>> flat? That the sun didn't rotate it?  That the
>> earth wasn't the centre of the universe?
>> That man is biologically an animal?
>
> No doubt there will still be naysayers just as
> there is still a "Flat-Earth" society. :-)

Regarding the brine on Mars, all the evidence isn't in yet, but it looks
good...  Gusev was a good location.  It'd be nice if the other rover,
scheduled to land in a few days, finds similar "mud."  That would prove
that the Spirit location is not unique.

Regarding life in the universe, humans finding it on another planet
would be another copernican revolution of sorts -- not for the more
science oriented who are already okay with the idea, but for the rest of
humanity, many of whom see this as fantasy.  (Well, the ones I run into.
Of course, there's the UFO crowd...:)

Cheers!

Dan
http://uweb.superlink.net/neptune/