[extropy-chat] About SPAM again

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 01:06:30 UTC 2004

--- Emlyn O'regan <oregan.emlyn at healthsolve.com.au> wrote:
> Having thought about SPAM a lot, what I think is that they are
> ultimately
> undefeatable.

On the contrary, I am actually pretty happy with the spam filters that
Yahoo has instituted. Occasionally one or two of the more voluminous
posters on the various mail lists I subscribe to winds up in my bulk
folder, but I just hit a button that says "not spam", and that person's
post gets added to the Bayesian system. I will note that ImmInst
promotional mails have been regularly winding up in my bulk folder,
which I think is a result of excessive use of asterisks and
marketing-type language. Slashdot winds up in my bulk folder a lot as
well, but I've been hearing that spammers acting as average yokels are
reporting a lot of sites and users who are anti-spam as spammers in
order to shut them up.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark