[extropy-chat] ascii conversion of images?

Johnius Johnius at Genius.UCSD.edu
Fri Jan 23 09:27:59 UTC 2004

Alejandro wrote:
If he can display 8-bit ascii, it may be worth having a look at aalib.
if he can do curses, then libcaca might even provide you with colour.

	Thanks.  With google I found:
	http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/aalib/
	http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/
	I'll be taking a look at these next week...

BillK wrote:
There is a whole sub-culture of geekdom which produces pictures in ascii
characters.  Some even produce movies in ascii!

	So I'm finding!  I just came across this repository of
	ascii art:  http://www.ascii-art.de/
	There are even a few stereoscopic 3d pieces with surprising
	illusions of depth...

	Has anyone yet made an ascii music video for MTV?
	I think it could be a hit ... considering the kinds of
	animations I've seen succeeding there (e.g., the Waking Life
	kind of cartooned-reality graphics, the blocky lego vision
	of the Strokes video, etc.).

> Two free programs which will convert jpg images to ascii are:
> The Characterizer at:    <http://www.aolej.com/free.html#Chara>
> and the ASCII Generator at:   <http://go.to/ascgen/>
> You can try converting jpg images online to ascii at:
> http://jpg2asc.hierklikken.com/

	Cool!  I'll be checking these out next week...

	Thanks again,
	Johnius