EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat]Gametheoryofcommoncold)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 14:14:12 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Samantha Atkins wrote,
> > Charity that is forced *is* evil.  Do we agree on that much?
>
> Not if Libertarians are going to define tax-supported schools as
> enforced charity, I don't agree.

Actually, considering that crime was far lower (and literacy far
higher) before the advent of universal public schooling, I would
venture to say that forced charity like public schooling is inherently
evil because, due to its mediocre results, it creates more problems
than it solves.

> Mike Lorrey wrote,
> > Harvey is making a logical fallacy in claiming that his
> > *entirely private* charity work makes forced charity through
> > government programs "not evil". How he makes such a logical
> > leap is beyond me...
>
> I do not make this claim.  I don't see how my private charity work
> could have any bearing on government charity programs.

That was the implication of your statement which I quoted.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey