[extropy-chat] Brian Alexander shooting fish in a barrel

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Fri Jan 23 23:40:35 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick quoted Brian Alexander:
> It sometimes sounded as if they were
> plotting a future world in which they could take revenge on every
> jock who ever made fun of the smart kids.

This is true in my case. When I was mobbed in school, I decided to change
the world so that the kind of people who taunted me would be at the bottom
and have to learn the stuff they taunted me for learning. The irony is
that Bill Gates beat me to it.

(And now I'm of course going around all bodhisattva-like with forgiveness
of them... not really :-)

But isn't Alexander's description of the early extropians (sounds very
mid-90's) spot on, in terms of how we did look? These days transhumanists
are less flamboyant and a bit less prone to overstatements (with some
fortunate/unfortunate exceptions). Probably because we are getting
mainstream. Yay! ;-)

Transhumanist with a suit and tie, and proud of it.

--
Anders Sandberg
http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa

The sum of human knowledge sounds nice. But I want more.