[extropy-chat] About SPAM again

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sat Jan 24 15:22:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Paul Grant wrote:

> > Microsoft (and others?) have a proposal (the Penny Black project) out
> > that would force unsolicited incoming emails to consume something like
> > 10 seconds of CPU time on the sender CPU before they are accepted.  I

In the late 1990's, this used to be known as hashcash.

> What would be the point; spammers would just buy faster processors

Why buy them when you can get a spamware trojan running
on hundreds of thousands of Windows systems and use
other people's bandwidth and CPU time ?

Estimates are that there are about 900.000 Windows systems
out there with a spam trojan running.  That's a LOT of CPU
for any hashcash like scheme.

Major <extropy at audry2.com> wrote:
> I didn't know this was Microsoft's.

It's not. I think hash-cash was first proposed over 10 years ago.

> this may be the first really *good* thing the evil empire has done.

Too bad it's been obsolete since the point where spammers
started to use dedicated spam trojans, about 2 years ago.

cheers,

Rik