[extropy-chat] [comp] Protect an exe?

Emlyn O'regan oregan.emlyn at healthsolve.com.au
Tue Jan 27 01:22:43 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I thought I'd ask a technical question of all you software-literate extros
out there.

I've put an executable together for promoting my wife's opera via the office
e-mail joke network; it's got dancing teapots, a little game, music samples,
etc.

I wish it wasn't an exe, but I had to use what I already know (ie: Delphi)
to get it done quickly. Future efforts will probably be shockwave.

So I'm in this position where I'll be trying to convince all and sundry to
download & run, or email, an executable. Bad me.

Here's the question... Does anyone know how to make an exe detect that it's
file size has changed, and warn the user if it has (because it's probably
been virus infected)? Or any other way to make an exe protect itself /
detect problems? I'd ideally like to find a method that doesn't involve
coding (ie: something that takes and exe and modifies it after the fact),
but I might be willing to add code for really cool solutions. I just want to
protect the users as much as possible, and make sure that an virus picked up
has very little chance of spreading further.

Thanks,
Emlyn