[extropy-chat] [comp] Protect an exe?

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Jan 27 03:43:05 UTC 2004

At 09:44 PM 1/26/2004 -0500, MB wrote:

>What about making the .exe Read Only. I'm presuming it's to run in
>Windoze.
>
>That should keep it from changing size, I'd think.

A virus in another program on their system should be able to change Emlyn's
program to read-write, infect it, and then change it back to read-only.

>Also, you could have them go to your website and select the .exe to
>download. That would make it a bit better than having them download
>an .exe attachement to an email... which is a dangerous habit to get
>into. IYKWIM. :)

That's a reasonable step.

A lot of downloadable software also lists an expected checksum (usually
MD5) on their site and provides a checksumming tool.

-- David Lubkin.