[extropy-chat] ascii conversion of images?

Gina Miller nanogirl at halcyon.com
Fri Jan 30 01:51:35 UTC 2004

The Lego video is the White Stripes, see here:
http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/musicvideos/220/ . If you are asked
to fill in a one box form before preview, you can get away with typing "just
someone". They tell you how they developed the video here as well. [This
reply is late, due to traveling], Gina`

> Alejandro wrote:
> If he can display 8-bit ascii, it may be worth having a look at aalib.
> if he can do curses, then libcaca might even provide you with colour.
>
> Thanks.  With google I found:
> http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/aalib/
> http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/
> I'll be taking a look at these next week...
>
> BillK wrote:
> There is a whole sub-culture of geekdom which produces pictures in ascii
> characters.  Some even produce movies in ascii!
>
> So I'm finding!  I just came across this repository of
> ascii art:  http://www.ascii-art.de/
> There are even a few stereoscopic 3d pieces with surprising
> illusions of depth...
>
> Has anyone yet made an ascii music video for MTV?
> I think it could be a hit ... considering the kinds of
> animations I've seen succeeding there (e.g., the Waking Life
> kind of cartooned-reality graphics, the blocky lego vision
> of the Strokes video, etc.).
>
> > Two free programs which will convert jpg images to ascii are:
> > The Characterizer at:    <http://www.aolej.com/free.html#Chara>
> > and the ASCII Generator at:   <http://go.to/ascgen/>
> > You can try converting jpg images online to ascii at:
> > http://jpg2asc.hierklikken.com/
>
> Cool!  I'll be checking these out next week...
>
> Thanks again,
> Johnius

Gina "Nanogirl" Miller
Nanotechnology Industries
http://www.nanoindustries.com
Personal: http://www.nanogirl.com
Foresight Senior Associate http://www.foresight.org
Nanotechnology Advisor Extropy Institute
http://www.extropy.org
Tech-Aid Advisor http://www.tech-aid.info/t/all-about.html
nanogirl at halcyon.com
"Nanotechnology: Solutions for the future."