[extropy-chat] Re: Hybrids

Dennis May determinism at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 15:26:50 UTC 2004

Anders Sandberg wrote:

>Then again, why is it bad to become a bunch of species? If a society can
>create genetic modifications to create such a situation, then it can also
>be remedied. In a loss of technology scenario where such abilities are
>lost, then the loss of ability is likely a far larger issue than
>reproduction.

The movement into space produces the natural conditions for normal
species radiation - separation of populations, changes in environment,
and time.  Modern technology will only increase the speed of new
species creation.

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

>Now whether or not one wants to preserve the ability for normo-homo-mating
>would be an interesting question.  One has to argue that this has some
>survival benefit in the situation that technology (and even the knowledge
>of such technology) is somehow driven back to the dark ages or earlier.

>I'm still waiting for someone to argue that an "Extinction Level Event"
>(asteroids, comets, nuclear war, etc.) is going to eliminate nuclear
>submarines and all of the knowledge/technology they embody.

Extinction level events won't necessarily kill all humans right away
but it would be a significant set back with the potential of leading
to human extinction.  If only a few thousand humans survive but
are unable to locate each other in groups large enough to preserve
technology and/or maintain a breeding group it could mean the
end.

David Lubkin wrote:

>I like the idea of off-site backup of critical data. I want biologically
>and culturally isolated copies of our sentience that are self-sufficient in
>a sustainable low-technology environment. Perhaps Amish on terraformed
>Mars. As a baseline we can refer to, and a fail-safe backup for extinction
>events. (The society need not be low-technology now but it needs to not be
>inherently reliant on higher-tech, as a space-based or females-only society
>would probably be.)

>Mind you, I'm not saying that *all* of us need to be able to interbreed or
>survive low-tech, just that *some* can.

>I'd also be somewhat comfortable with the equivalent of a baby factory in a
>bobble if I were convinced of the long-term reliability of both.

I suspect the low-tech backup option will be the Earth and several
diverse groups of people who don't have the resources or skills
to make it into space.  Going native on another planet will be an
option for some but not any time soon.

Dennis May

determinism at hotmail.com