[extropy-chat] Re: Surviving ELEs (was Re: Hybrids)

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Fri Jan 30 18:07:08 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
         :
>The above discussion suggests that there would possibly be three
>potential civilization cores -- those centered around nuclear
>vessels, those centered around nuclear power reactors and those
>centered around hydroelectric power centers.
         :

You seem to be focusing on a restricted class of extinction-level events. I
am more concerned about a more virulent version of the so-called Spanish
Flu pandemic, either natural or engineered, than something like an asteroid
impact.

With the right pathogen, nuclear sub crews will die as well either due to
exposure once they surface or because it was designed to stay dormant until
everyone was infected and they were exposed before the cruise began.

Still, for the discussion at hand, you are right. If the ELE doesn't kill
the sub crews, they will be able to leverage their technology. However, we
don't allow women to serve on submarines. Locating any women survivors on
the surface may be difficult. (Do any other submariner nations allow women?)

-- David Lubkin.