[extropy-chat] Re: Poxy old computers

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Fri Jan 30 19:33:49 UTC 2004

My first programming was on a early PDP in 1973, in Israel, on
optically-read Hollerith cards. We had to fill in the pattern for each
letter with a pencil on the Hollerith card. Once a week, Ilan Cohen would
take our card decks to run on the computer. If you made a mistake, you had
to gamble as to whether you could erase your mistake well-enough that the
reader wouldn't misread the card. If it did, you had to wait another week
to try your program again.

It felt so cool the first time I got to use a keypunch machine and, a few
years later, a terminal.

Going back twenty years earlier, my mother *was* a computer briefly (it
used to be a profession), and my father ran the military computers at
Letterkenny.

Before that, my grandfather began his computer career as the first
production manager for the ENIAC, and then designed many of its successors
(e.g., SEAC, EDVAC, REEVAC). I'm sorting through his invention disclosures
and papers from the 1930's on and gradually pulling together a web site.

I did find a marketing brochure for the Elecom 100, though. He'd founded
the Electronic Computer Corporation two years after ENIAC, and designed and
sold the first mini-computer. The 100 represented a tremendous breakthrough
in price/performance, selling for only $100,000 (worth about $750,000 in
today's dollars). (He was undercapitalized, and eventually sold the company
to Underwood.)

Bear in mind that we have gone from this to now within the span of one
working career (roughly age 20 to 70). Here are the specifications:

MEMORY --  Magnetic drum, 512 word capacity.

WORD LENGTH -- 29 binary digits and sign.

ARITHMETIC OPERATIONS -- addition; subtraction; multiplication (with
round-off); multiplication (unrounded; complete product available).

LOGICAL OPERATIONS -- logical multiplication; conditional transfer of
control (branch); halt; input and output operations.

MAGNETIC TAPE UNIT -- single unit, using 1/2" tape on 1200 ft. reels. Data
recorded in four channels including sprocket channel; 64 words per block,
1600 blocks (102,400 words) per reel. Programmed operations: read one
block; record one block; move tape backward one block without reading or
recording.

TYPEWRITER -- standard electric model with actuators on numerical keys,
negative sign, space, and carriage return. Programmed output operation
calls for typing out one block of 64 words on eight lines with automatic
carriage returns and spaces between words, using octal representation, or
typing out one block using decimal representation which provides for
programmed space, negative sign, and carriage return in addition to all
digits from 0 to 9 inclusive. Manually initiated input of single word to
any desired address, or sequences of words with any desired starting
address. Input may be either octal or decimal.

SPEED OF OPERATION -- basic pulse 115 kcs., average time for internal
operations 46 milliseconds, tape instructions approximately 1 1/4 seconds
per block, typing out operation at rate of 7 1/2 characters per second.

EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS -- approximately 180 tubes and 2000 crystal
diodes; power consumption approximately 3 kva. Main computer 6 ft. high, 10
ft. long, 2 ft. deep, arranged in a semi-circle; separate drum unit 2 ft.
square. Control desk 34" x 60" holds typewriter, tape panel, and control panel.

-- David Lubkin.