[extropy-chat] Re: Hybrids

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 19:45:21 UTC 2004

--- "sjvans at mailhost.mil.ameritech.net"
<sjvans at mailhost.mil.ameritech.net> wrote:

> Huh?  I am getting into this late, but could someone explain to me
> how this
> hypothetical "extinction level event" would wipe out fossil fuels?
> Coal mines and oil fields are 19th and very early 20th century
> technology...much
> easier to maintain and preserve than nuclear power plants.  With a
> hypothetically much reduced population, known reserves and even
> stored
> supplies would last a very long time.  I'd much rather try my hand at
> distilling straight gasoline from crude or making producer gas from
> coal than refuel a nuclear power plant.

Been to a coal mine recently, have you?

After people get over figuring out how to eat for the next three years
or so, the mines will be so full of water, and there will be no
gasoline to pump it out so as to mine again. Getting fossil fuel
industry restarted in a post ELE world will take a lot of work.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey