[extropy-chat] LONGEVITY: A better genome

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sat Jan 31 17:01:28 UTC 2004

Well, there have been some previous reports on genes which
contribute to extended longevity but we have another of
interest today.

"Death-defying Approach Devised By Penn Scientists To
Prevent Cell Apoptosis"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/01/040130075914.htm
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/jan04/MSRA.htm

It turns out that higher levels of the methionine sulfoxide
reductase type A (MSRA) can protect cells from the free radical
damage and apoptosis (cell death) that takes place when recovering
from a heart attack or stroke.

So people with a genetic enhancement for the increased production
of MSRA can legitimately rise up off the cart (using a Monty Python
analogy here...) and claim "But I'm not dead yet".

Robert