[extropy-chat] EDU: Georgia and Evolution

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sat Jan 31 17:17:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Kevin Freels wrote:

> Have you heard anything on this lately? How is it progressing? I wonder if
> they could get away with this even if the remains were clearly of a
> different species? Would they try to say  that H. americanus was a Lakota
> Sioux? ;-)

Kevin/Spike/others et al -- I believe that a PBS series based on robust
scientific data have well documented on the basis of genetic data
the out-of-africa perspective where there is one wave that comes
out of africa, through Europe and eventually across the atlantic
into North America.  There is another wave that went from africa
through asia, across the then frozen Bearing straight into
North America.

There is no debate with respect to whether we are ultimately
derived from the same genetic background.  The paths may be
different but we are ultimately all humans.  And there is
a substantial amount of genetic evidence that we are *not*
Neanderthals.

So while there may be laws -- there is probably ultimately little
genetic basis for them -- they are most likely based on the
history (and guilt) derived from the poor policies that Western
Europeans and their offspring have had with respect to honoring
their treaty agreements.

Robert