[extropy-chat] VP Summit - Press Release - Comments Please!

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat Jan 31 17:25:30 UTC 2004

At 06:20 PM 1/30/2004, Damien Broderick wrote:

>Yes. Consider some examples:
>
>< The forces of reaction are surging...
>
>< Throughout history the forces of advancement have struggled against the
>reactionary forces of stasis >
>
>Struggle. Forces of reaction. Oddly enough, this *exactly* mimics Stalinist
>and Troskyite cant from the Cold war and earlier. (Sorry, but it has to be
>noted.)

Damien -- the way you quote the above makes it appear as if it was from the
press release, which it was not. The language of the press release was much
milder. The original text on the web pages was oriented toward a more hard
core audience. Nevertheless, we appreciate your comments -- the web pages
themselves are due for a rewrite. It's worth noting though, that Marxist
"cant" was remarkably effective, and we really *are* seeing a reaction from
forces opposed to or at least deeply suspicious of progress (as we see it).

>I suppose it's impossible or at least very hard to convince you to leave out
>cult-sounding brand-positioning phrases such as `our extropic goals'. Those
>goals include: `extended healthy life, enhanced intelligence, refined
>emotions', etc. You might put off fewer uncommitted people by simply listing
>them as your goals, and hold the `extropic'.

Yes, that's probably true about "extropic" for the broad audience we're
looking for. As an unfamiliar term, it might sound a bit in-groupish,
though surely less so than "extropian" which you should no longer find on
our new materials. The VP Summit presents a challenge in pitching at just
the right level -- to include everyone with an interest in biomedical and
general technological progress but without denying or hiding the fact that
ExI favors enhancement uses.

Since you mention the possibility of sounding cultish... In the interview
with you, you say:

>I’m subscribed to several chat rooms that examine social and technical
>change [such as] a group called SL4—Shock Level Four

If you think "extropic goals" sounds at all off-putting, surely SL4 does to
a greater degree. Someone not familiar with Eli or SIAI might easily get
the impression that this refers to a Scientologist-like hierarchy with only
the "very smart people" allowed in.

Cheers,

Max

Max More, Ph.D.