[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 06:43:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:49:42 -0700, Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc.
>
> > I use outdated computer systems and brag that its an advantage because
> > some viruses are not targeted to work old systems...
> >
> > Morris
>
> Is this true?  If so, you have stumbled upon a most
> wonderful business opportunity.  Since email uses soooo
> very little CPU, one could produce machines that are
> designed to do nothing but email, using some ancient
> primitive savage processor, such as a 386 or a
> quadra.  Perhaps there are chip fabs still around
> to make old processors?  Many of us could dedicate
> an old machine to email, then use our other machines
> for compuationally intensive apps.  I still have a
> Mac quadra running in the office, for some specialty
> applications that run only on that machine.

Yes, it's true. Many new viruses and worms only work on the Windows XP
technology, leaving Win98 machines alone.

After everyone moves to gmail, you just need a web browser to read
your email. Even a 90MHz Pentium can do this in Win98.

The best use for an old 486 pc is as a physical firewall between your
main pc / home network and the internet. All the nasties get stuck in
the old 486.

BillK