[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun Jul 4 00:43:18 UTC 2004

At 01:44 PM 7/3/04 -0700, Olga wrote:

>As for class:  Again, the *perception* of the word "redneck" does have a
>definite classist component.  It doesn't matter whether you personally don't
>believe redneck refers to a class - it does.

Redneck is an endearing term used in fun and nobody takes it seriously
these days. Take a look at Foxworthy's website and his world-class comic
stick.  He has made redneck as familiar as American Pie.  I highly doubt
anyone is offended by his sense of humor and delight.

I think it is essential to have a sense of humor here, especially after the
past week. So, let's cut a little slack and relax.  No one is being racist
or ethnically uncouth.  It is how a person uses words, and I think we all
are being warm-hearted.

I'm a redneck in Austin, and I also have a terrible red rash around my neck
from wearing silver, which I am allergic to.  So, call me a redneck and
I'll give you a big hug.

But, if there is a redneck on this list who is offended, let the moderators
know and they can kick me off the list.

Enjoy having fun!  It's the 4th of July weekend!

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc
President, Extropy Institute  http://www.extropy.org
Founder, Transhumanist Arts & Culture  http://www.transhumanist.biz