[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Mon Jul 5 18:17:47 UTC 2004

On Jul 3, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Olga Bourlin wrote:

> From: "Samantha Atkins" <samantha at objectent.com>
>>> On Jul 3, 2004, at 8:27 AM, Olga Bourlin wrote:
>> I can see where a lot of stuff is wrapped up in redneck that is
>> problematic and how it can be and is used to mark the "other" rigidly.
>>   But it isn't the way I use it usually except when joking around.
>
> Regarding the problematic aspect - it may not be the way *you* use it,
> but
> it is the way a lot people use it.  Perception is everything, and
> perception
> is really what counts.  And the perception of "redneck" is not
> complimentary.

Perception is NOT everything.   My assertion of the opposite of your
assertion leaves both of us nowhere.   A lot of people mean a lot of
very bizarre things by much of what they say.  Does this mean that all
of my words must carefully be screened by some notion of majority usage
and meaning?   Is this particular fine tuning of speech likely to
really gain us enough to be worth the energy expended?

> As for class:  Again, the *perception* of the word "redneck" does have
> definite classist component.  It doesn't matter whether you personally
> don't
> believe redneck refers to a class - it does.

Heck, I don't even take much stock in "class".

- s