[extropy-chat] Driver safety and the immortalist

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Tue Jul 6 23:15:11 UTC 2004

paul.bridger wrote:
> BillK wrote:
>  > In contrast, single-vehicle crashes represented 65% of crashes involving
>  > SUVs and 59% of crashes involving pickups.
>  > So SUVs and pickups seem to have a tendency to self-destruct.
>
> ...but SUVs and pickups (higher mass vehicles) have more accidents.
>
> Given that SUVs etc. cause more single car accidents, it's reasonable to
> assume they cause more multiple car accidents, too. How annoying that
> SUV drivers should cause more accidents, and then have higher
> survivability.

percentage of single-vehicle crashes. So SUVs/Pickups tend to have
accidents involving only themselves moreso than cars do. Those figures
don't talk at all about which type of vehicle has more accidents in total.

So I don't know how many accidents each type of vehicle initiates, but
anyway it isn't really relevant to the discussion of how to survive driving.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/