[extropy-chat] Driver safety and the immortalist

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 16:40:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:06:03 -0500, Kevin Freels <megaquark at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Have any of the studies taken the increased passenger capacity of an SUV
> into consideration ? My Miata carries two people, so the most I could kill
> in a single vehicle crash is two. Many SUVs can kill up to 8 people in a
> single-vehicle crash. A collision between the two could kill up to 16.
>
> Does anyone know what the average passenger count is in an SUV?

The cynical answer is none. Whenever you see one of these monsters
blocking your vision it usually only has one occupant. In UK cities,
it will probably be one woman driver.

However, the FARS accident statistics also report vehicle occupancy.
For 2002, 38,309 fatal accidents, 26,549 drivers, 10,571 passengers.
<http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/>

I could not find a breakdown by type of car, but it should be around somewhere.

BillK