[extropy-chat] new free Vinge story, with illos

David McFadzean david at lucifer.com
Sat Jul 10 23:55:49 UTC 2004

From: "Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> Since this shares its setting with the award winning nearish-future
novella
> `Fast Times at Fairmont High', I assume that's his current project.

The hardcopy magazine has an article following the story, "Mike Villa's
World" by Harry Goldstein, which mentions that the story "Synthetic
Serendiptiy" was adapted for IEEE Spectrum magazine from his upcoming novel,
Rainbows End. The article is a very interesting examination of the
technology in Vinge's near future world, well worth tracking down.

David