[extropy-chat] Read All About It

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 11 23:56:38 UTC 2004

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> July 19, 2004 issue - You don't usually go to
> government reports for
> arresting prose. But consider this sentence:
> "Indeed, at the current rate of
> loss, literary reading as a leisure activity will
> virtually disappear in
> half a century."
>
> http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5411407/site/newsweek/
>
> On the other hand, half a century is a long time ...
> and technology may just
> come up with variants of the lowly bookworm.

I wonder...do they count people reading works online
as "reading"?  I've been told repeatedly that very
few people are willing to read lengthy electronic
texts, especially for pleasure, but I know I'm willing
to...and the more I look around, the more people I see
doing the same.  (Increase that rate if you include
people enjoying non-purely-literary fictional works
online, especially the interactive formats not
possible sans computers.)