[extropy-chat] Read All About It

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 12 05:08:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 04:56:38PM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> I wonder...do they count people reading works online
> as "reading"?  I've been told repeatedly that very
> few people are willing to read lengthy electronic
> texts, especially for pleasure, but I know I'm willing

It is a culture thing, a display thing and portability thing. Font rendering
has gotten better, but displays are still nowhere nearby 200-300 dpi.
Handling is an issue, I don't have a scroll wheel but I can smooth-scroll
with the track pad. Portability is an issue: I lug my iBook everywhere, but
I'd rather have a rugged tablet or a wearable, something I could drop or use
in the bathtub, with a battery life of 6-12 h. It should be cheap, and back
itself up automatically, to not lose content ever.

It can be done today, but largely by poor students and rich first-adopter
type technology people. It should become the norm in a decade, or two.