[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Mon Jul 12 17:41:10 UTC 2004

I am surprised this topic hasn't already come up here.   The US press
is full of stories about possibly suspending US presidential elections
if there is significant terrorism.   There are subtexts that they may
be suspended even if there is a "credible threat of terrorism".

I don't know about you folks but this is the most frightening notion I
have ever seen floated in the US press.  If we in the US do not have
the power any longer to even elect the top of the largely unelected
government pyramid dependably  then it is a dark day indeed.   We have
taken a huge step down the road to super-banana-republic.    We are far
fewer steps from de facto dictatorship than I ever feared.  Call me
paranoid, but what is to prevent this administration from doing less
than it could to stop a terrorist threat if it believes it would lose
in November?    It will get very ugly in such an event.

The worst of it is that most of the people will yawn over even this.
They will assume that "they know what the are doing and have our best
interests at heart".   They will assume that their uneasiness probably
has no real basis and stop thinking.   Very few will raise a stink.
Few will even believe it is a credible threat.  They have believed for
too long "This is America, it can't happen here!"   Simple belief that
this is so or wishing it was so will not keep it away from our door.

Folks, pay good attention.   The freest, most advanced and most
powerful country on earth is headed in more blatantly unfree directions
almost by the day.    There is an extremely unextropic vector gaining
in magnitude.

- samantha