[extropy-chat] Re: Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 12 23:26:35 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:
> This is what they want to avoid here.  If they feel
> like George Bush is
> going to be voted out of office because a large
> section of the electorate
> blames him for terrorism, they want the option to
> postpone the election
> until that groundswell has gone away.  Pay careful
> attention to the words
> when they say "cancel" the election rather than
> "retry" or "recover" the
> election.

Hmm.  Not that I think it's a serious proposal yet,
but...is anyone else getting eerie echoes to a recent
Patriot Act amendment vote, where the House
Republicans changed the voting rules by extending the
voting period from its usual 15 minutes to 35, so they
could persuade Representatives to switch their vote
until they had enough to defeat the amendment?