[extropy-chat] Re: Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 13 03:09:07 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> On Monday, July 12, 2004, at 07:26 pm, Adrian Tymes
> wrote:
> > Hmm.  Not that I think it's a serious proposal
> yet,
> > but...is anyone else getting eerie echoes to a
> recent
> > Patriot Act amendment vote, where the House
> > Republicans changed the voting rules by extending
> the
> > voting period from its usual 15 minutes to 35, so
> they
> > could persuade Representatives to switch their
> vote
> > until they had enough to defeat the amendment?
>
> Yes.  And the voting rules in Florida which were
> changed.  And the
> voting machines which are being put in all over the
> country.  The rules
> of how we vote are being rewritten by one political
> party.

Not all the states.  California, at least, has banned
the use of logless voting machines, and is making an
effort to crack down on potential ways to hack them.

But I don't think the Republicans as a whole are to
blame.  There are people responsible for this, and
people fighting this, from both political parties.
(Then again, the meaningful differences between Dems
and Reps dwindled to few long ago.)