[extropy-chat] technological equilibrium

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 14:07:19 UTC 2004

> paul.bridger

> Spike wrote:
> > every society that is currently in or has ever
> > reached technological equilibrium is primitive!
>
> Well, I was thinking about a kind of technological
> equilibrium imposed by an
> increasing cost of energy (as we are seeing today). Progress
> would be too
> expensive, because simply staying still (surviving) would
> take everyone's time.
> But then...before we reached that state we'd start doing
> research to make
> energy cheaper.

Ja I was thinking an major energy shortage would be a
huge technology driver.  It would force us to start thinking
again.  We have a vast array of cool new technologies that
are merely waiting for reduced risk of oil again dropping
below 30 bucks a barrel.

The best mechanism I can think of for technological stasis
would be excessive comfort, such as we now suffer.