[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 14 04:18:57 UTC 2004

> Eugen Leitl
> Write to your representative that this election to not use
> any electronic voting machines. You don't have to postpone if you can
rig.

> Also, I suggest requesting UN vote observers.

An interesting question is which direction would a
really major terrorist attack push the US election?  Any
speculations?  Either way, the election this year is
full of paradox.  One might speculate that some of the
terrorists would want to help reelect Bush, for they know
he will fight, and they desperately want to fight. The U.S.
joining the actual battle makes it easier for them to recruit.
Also Bush dethroned Saddam, who they hate.

Another interesting question is how European elections
will be swayed by the terrorist attacks that will likely
precede the next several elections there.

My speculation: a major 9-11-ish attack would help elect
Bush, for the USian proletariat doesn't know if the other
guy will fight.  I seriously doubt the US will do like
unto Spain and elect the other guy if there is an
attack in the days preceding the election.  That would
be too much like being held hostage.  Altho I see little
difference between the two major candidates, it is so
sad to think the election could be decided by terrorists.