[extropy-chat] technological equilibrium

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:34:25 UTC 2004

A Transparent Society is easy to miss in such a way that either the
government and/or other powers have unequal surveillance over the
people or universal surveillance proves ineffective in challenging
existing power distributions.   I would suspect the latter to be the
case as I suspect that effective controlling power is a cumulative
function on degree of existing power plus information.  So given equal
information the party with the most existing power still remains in
control.

In any case, given effective full surveillance of the controlled party
and the desire by the controlling party to limit/restrict disruptive
technology, an equilibrium (stasis) could conceivably be reached.

- s