[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sat Jul 17 18:56:12 UTC 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 11:26 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> Amara Graps wrote:
>> This particular news was on the Italian radio this morning. The
>> reaction from my immediate environment is that of sadness, words of
>> 'looks like a dictatorship' and so on. The people around me also asked
>> questions about what is the true lifetime of a democracy, because it
>> looks like an incredibly fragile thing now, with the US has having had
>> demonstrated the longest democratic life.
>

> Its not that bad, and people are over-reacting.  The entire range of
> contingencies is being investigated -- a legitimate exercise for the
> government -- and the media is using it whip up some FUD.

After the events of the last election and watching the current
administration for the last four years, I very much wish I could
believe that there is nothing to worry about.  But I cannot.  I believe
that this administration is quite capable of stealing an election and
if it looks like they cannot do so or win legitimately, postponing an
election.   I would love to believe that there is no basis for such
worry.   But I do not believe it.    I recommend watching very
carefully and certainly NOT giving the government the benefit of doubt.
  They have shown repeatedly that  they do not deserve it.

- s