[extropy-chat] spam & spelling?

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Sun Jul 25 17:57:33 UTC 2004

I'm sure this has occurred to developers working on spam filters, and
perhaps it has even been implemented, but anyway:

Why not judge email messages by spelling errors, and if they have too
many then they get marked as spam? This would seem to get around the
current problem of spammers coming up with all kinds of misspellings to
get around current spam filters. And most mail clients have a
user-extendable dictionary built in already for spell checking that
could be used.

Now to catch a high percentage of spam you might have to set this kind
of filter to judge pretty harshly, and it might tend to catch legitimate
emails. So it will have to be used as only part of a larger spam filter
algorithm, but I do think it would help.

Anyone know of any filters that use this technique?
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/