[extropy-chat] Royal Society report on nano

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 30 16:22:14 UTC 2004

http://zdnet.com.com/2102-1103_2-5289179.html?tag=printthis

> > "Most nanotechnologies pose no new risks to
> health, safety or the
> > environment, but we believe research and
> regulation is required immediately
> > to address uncertainties about the effects of
> manufactured nanoparticles
> > and nanotubes," Professor Ann Dowling, of the
> University of Cambridge, told
> > a news conference.
>
> Sure, and plutonium is just a metal.

With handling precautions not dissimilar to the
previous-experimented-with radium.  (Besides, they
said "most": assemblers are one thing, but by volume
produced these days, most nanostuff is raw bulk INERT
coatings.  Active systems of any kind are relatively
uncommon; mechanically active systems with features
under 1 micron are mere lab prototypes, for the most
part.  At least, that's how it stands today.)