[extropy-chat] RE: [wta-talk] SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 2 08:53:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:58:05AM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> I used "programmer" as shorthand.  I know neuroscience

I would have listed "scientist" and "engineer" in
the requirement profile.

> and hardware, as well, and of course any (decent)
> programmer knows math.  But we know an AI will require

So you have a Ph.D. in three different disciplines (that be neuroscience,
computational and/or wet), practical hardware design (at least at FPGA level,
preferrably ASIC), have practical experience with high-performance numerics
codes >kNode country, and can handle complex nonlinear dynamics?

And you're only taking 100 k$/year? Wow, you're a real bargain.

> new software to be written (i.e., programming); it is

You can assume that those scientists and engineers can program.
High-performance parallel numerics, that is, which most programmers have
absolutely no clue of.

> not as easy to prove that new hardware, or new
> statistical methods, will have to be custom developed
> for this project.  (Possible, perhaps.  Easy, no,

What can I say, people with that attitude have been failing for past 40-50
years. You're familiar as to why they've been failing, as you've studied
those failures extensively, right?

> especially when one considers that "custom developed"
> rules out hiring people to continue implementing
> Moore's Law when other companies are already doing so

Moore's law describes *integration density*. Given that you're an
accomplished numerics guy, I wonder why you never heard about benchmarks.
Such as, memory bandwidth? Unpredictable access?

There are a few handy graphs on the web, and they're unfortunately no linear
semi-log plots. I stopped posting links, because nobody reads them anyway.