[extropy-chat] Eugen Leitl on AI design

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Jun 2 13:40:07 UTC 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:21:29AM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
>
>>wondering why you think you can give hardware estimates for intelligence
>>when you claim not to know how it works.  I used to do that too, convert
>>synaptic spikes to floating-point ops and so on.  Later I looked back on my
>>calculations of human-equivalent hardware and saw complete gibberish,
>>blatantly invalid analogies such as Greek philosophers might have used for
>>lack of any grasp whatsoever on the domain.  People throw hardware at AI
>>because they have absolutely no clue how to solve it, like Egyptian
>>pharaohs using mummification for the cryonics problem.
>
> Many orders of magnitude more performance is a poor man's substitute for
> cleverness, by doing a rather thorough sampling of a lucky search space.

Right.  But it automatically kills you.  Worse, you have to be clever to
realize this.  This represents an urgent problem for the human species, but
at least I am not personally walking directly into the whirling razor
blades, now that I know better.

> I think (based on my layman's understanding of current state of the art)
> a connectionist, very probably a spiking architecture is vital.

What on Earth does that have to do with intelligence?  That is building a
wooden airfield and hoping that someone brings cargo.