[extropy-chat] MOTION: Harvey off the Board

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 06:43:27 UTC 2004

Answers below:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:34:29 +0930, Emlyn ORegan
<emlyn.oregan at micromet.com.au> wrote:

> Harvey against the rest of the world? Hmm, maybe. Harvey, do you have
> anyone else who is willing to back up your claims on this list?

Not many I fear.

> Giulio (is that right?),

Yes.

> maybe you'd answer some questions...

Sure.

> - Have the founders been ignoring board votes?

No, and there is no concept of "founders". All board members have
equal status, and members can vote the "founders" out is they wish so.

> - Have the founders sold member's @s to spammers?

No, and I find the allegation quite offensive. Before making this sort
of accusations one should think of whether (s)he can provide any
proof. When this is not the case one should, as I said before, shut up
and stop wasting our time.

> - Have the founders added people to the membership rolls without
> knowledge/permission?

Not to my knowledge. Harvey is probably referring to an isolated
incident where a few former list subscribers were unintentionally
resubscribed as a side effect of a list software upgrade. The list
manager promptly admitted the error, apologized, and removed everyone
who did not wish to be on the list.

> - Was Transhumanism and Spirituality (wow, did you really hold such a
> daft conference??) held despite board objections?

The conference will be held in August concurrently with TransVision04.
The decision to hold the conference was taken despite the objections
of a minority of board members.

> - Was a paid executive director really appointed without a vote of the
> board?

An executive director was appointed with a vote of the board. The work
of the executive director is not paid at the present time. We plan to
convert the post of executive director into a full time paid post as
soon as this is financially feasible, perhaps in a couple of years.

> - Is the board allowed real control in the WTA? If not, what is the role
> of the board?

All board members participate in all decisions, vote on all issues,
and can make proposals and formal motions. Their proposals!motions are
accepted if they can win, with solid arguments, the support of a
majority of board members. When this is not the case I believe the
board member concerned should accept the view of the others, think of
better arguments for next time, and refrain from spreading unproven
crap on all transhumanist lists.