[extropy-chat] SIAI structure question

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 7 15:16:50 UTC 2004

--- BillK <bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> The WTA board appears to be going through some
> growth problems at present.
>
> The thought occurs to me that it could be very
> dangerous for us if the
> SIAI has similar problems in a few years time as
> development of FAI is
> in the final testing phase.

Possible, but unlikely.  WTA is primarily a social
group.  SIAI is primarily a development group.
Politics aren't as much of a factor in the latter as
the former.  (They can be a factor; they just tend to
arise far less often.)

> Perhaps a sub-set of SIAI will think - We built this
> - why not keep it
> for our own benefit?

Ironically, in Elizier's vision (if I understand it
correctly), it's only strict adherence to Friendliness
that would even make it possible to contain a fully
developed AI like that.  So if that happens it's
actually a minor success - so long as those who would
keep it remain fully aware of that which is
technically necessary to keep it.