[extropy-chat] WTA Growing Pains

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 12:16:38 UTC 2004

On Tue Jun 8 05:48:28 MDT 2004 Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
>> Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. wrote:
>> The mingling of personalities, politics and ambition with well
>> meaning progressive goals  was never guaranteed to be an easy ride.
>>
>> If the goals are worth achieving, all the rest will fall back into
>> place.
>>

> That's one of the most anhistorical statements I've ever heard.

Whoops! My favorite dictionary panicked over 'anhistorical'. But it
liked 'unhistorical' or even 'ahistorical' which both mean 'Taking
little or no account of history', which I agree with.
<http://dictionary.reference.com/>

A quick look at the history of any movement provides a long list of
splits, factions, power-struggles, off-shoots, etc. Just look at the
hundreds of slightly different churches, who all call each other
'blasphemers' or 'heretics'.

BillK

"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T
WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."
     Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)