[extropy-chat] Seena Sharp's SharpInsights #16: Sounding Off

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Jun 8 14:59:00 UTC 2004

Let me introduce Seena Sharp.  She is a long-time friend of mine who lives
in Los Angeles.  I met her at FM-2030's futurist courses at UCLA -
"Accelerating Change," etc. back in the 1980s.

If you would like to subscribe to her newsletter "SharpInsights," I'm sure
you will not be sorry!  It is packed full of Seena's keen perspective on
business and trends, and her delightful sense of humor.

>SharpInsights #16: Sounding Off
>
>Back when boomers were babies, a consumer's raves (or rants) about a product
>or service were confined to family and friends. Thanks to the Internet,
>consumers
>now have an international stage and, if provoked, will share their
>feelings with the
>world. Just ask the guy who started www.ihatemicrosoft.com!
>
>However, smart marketers can harness their customers' passion by encouraging
>feedback and using it to create value. For instance, software user forums
>often offer
>better, faster information than the support pages on a developer's site.
>Power to the
>people!  There's more:
>    * Netflix.com members rate movies and even write reviews. (Take that,
> Roger Ebert!)
>    * Readers of Fast Company (and other magazines) respond online to
> articles and to other readers' remarks.
>    * Target customers rate the products on its website-and some items get
> panned!
>    * Many TV shows host message boards to give viewers a soapbox and to
> gauge audience reaction to episodes or story lines.
>This type of timely, unedited feedback highlights what matters most to
>customers.
>How do you access your customers' experience, insight, suggestions and
>complaints?
>Would creating an online forum be a way to tap this intelligence?
>
>To unsubscribe, simply reply with UNSUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc
President, Extropy Institute  http://www.extropy.org
Founder, Transhumanist Arts & Culture  http://www.transhumanist.biz