[extropy-chat] DAY AFTER TOMORROW meets Asimov

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 20:41:49 UTC 2004

--- Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>

> >On the contrary, in Robots of Dawn, the issue of the murder being
> >investigated was tied into the debate among the spacers on Aurora
> >whether to explore space as humans, or simply send out robots to go
> >find worlds and terraform them for human occupation. Suggest you
> read
> >it again.
> >
> I remember the book. Something like that was debated, then decided
> against at the end. In a following book, we are told that the very
> same robots that will invent the Zeroth Law made sure that it was
> not followed upon.
> So arguing that the zeroth law will then lead to universal genocide
> it's a really long stretch.
> I'm glad I didn't read the non-Asimov written sequels. They seem
> really bad if this is the premise.

Uh, no it wasn't 'decided against'. What was decided was that humans
from Earth would be permitted to colonize new worlds. In Asimov's
second Foundation trilogy, we see the search for Earth, ultimately with
a librarian from the First Foundation meeting Daneel on earth's Moon.
We also see that while a number of worlds near earth were colonized by
humans from earth, Asimov did explore questions in his second
Foundation trilogy about humans-only issues.....

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)